Sunday, October 11, 2020

My Personal Take on Noir

 My affinity for noir movies is something I acquired through my limited exploration in cinema. It was one of the pleasant self-educational paths I took and the reward was so sweet.

It is hard to pinpoint why I like noir cinematography, aesthetics, or scenarios but there are some points that might be relevant. 

I feel beneath the grey gloomy veneer of the noir picture there are certain elements that are integral to the genre:

The question of individuality: probably the overarching presence felt constantly is that individuals facing the challenges on his own. No room for fancy comrades and mighty organizations and corporations backing him up. 

The question of morality: you will see the protagonist following a moral code and is persistent in obedience regardless of the outcomes.


The question of ultimate redemption: maybe this part is controversial but my understanding is that noir movies do not follow the happy-ending trends and more focused on picturing personal fulfillment. The hero is delivering according to his/her principles and you can see that being the only intact facet of the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment