Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Crazy Art of Tehlonoius Monk


 

I just saw the documentary "Straight, No Chaser" depicting life and art of Mr. Thelonious Monk.

What impresses me the most?

-"He was a genius jazzman." Yes, I already heard a few things!

-"He had an unorthodox style." Yes, he was the phenom

-"He had a problematic mental health history." Yes, like many artists, TM had his fair share of mental health issues.

All of them aspects are important and well-documented about him.

What I had not appreciated, what I could not grasp via listening to him, was how transcendence is embodied in one's art. Him dancing in such maniac fashion in between pieces on stage, is something out of this world. 

I witnessed greatneness, transcendence, and oneness! Body shuttles a spirit in perpetual burn.


Pedram

October 29, 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment