Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Exploding Girl : An Oddly Tranquil Experience


i enjoyed watching this movie for the second time ,with my family.
The story line is pretty simple ;a cracked relationship between Ivy and her boyfriend(followed by some phone calls) and a blossoming relationship with her longtime guy pal Al.(Mark Rendall).
The movie is minimal in terms cinematic expression ,yet it conveys a purely humanistic message through some deliberate facial expressions or some ultra-slow story telling style.It might seem weird but "The Exploding Girl " reminded me of Robert Bresson movies.It was one of best samples of american independent film making prospect. Just like Carrie Ricky(Inquirer Movie critic) described "An oddly tranquil experience".

The Exploding Girl
year : 2009
Director : Bradley Rust Gray
Starring : Zoe Kazan, Mark Rendall,Maryann Urbano

2 comments:

  1. Hey, It was really surprising to read about this movie here. also It was hard for me to believe that there is another person who likes this movie! you know m, most of people say It's boring and pointless. I had a great felling while i was watching it and I thought I like it more because of my own similarities with the actress!
    I remember I read a review on IMDb, an there was written that it's boring and all about the Ivy's loneliness and inner silence.
    And I think there is some similarity between Bresson movies and this movie...Both tried to keep the movie simple and safe from any kind of unusual happenings.
    And if you like this movie, I recommend you to watch this one:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0809425/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, i guess it was not warmly accepted by the audience and even critics...but in my opinion it has been underrated.
    thanks for the link,i'm curious about this movie...the story is interesting...gonna find it.
    thanks again/
    Pedram

    ReplyDelete