Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Sit And Look Out


I sit and look out upon all the sorrows of the world,and upon all oppressions and shame,
I hear secret convulsive sobs from young men at anguish with themselves,
Remorseful after deeds done,
I see in low life the mother missused by her children,dying,neglected,gaunt,desperate,
I see the wife misused by her husband,i see the treacherous seducer of young women,
I mark rankings of jealousy and unrequited love attempted to be hid,i see these sights on the earth,
I see the working of battle ,pestilence,tyranny,i see martyrs and prisoners,
I observe a famine at sea,I observe the sailers casting lots to see
Who shall be kill'd to preserve the lives of the rest,
I observe the slights and degradations cast by arrogant persons upon laborers,the poor,and upon negros,and the like;
All these the meanness and agony without end,I
sitting look out upon ,see,hear ,and am silent.





Poem : Walt Whitman
Image : Tired Eyes by Irene Dominguez Marquez aka Namtaru

No comments:

Post a Comment